Targhee Pass News
Targhee Pass June 2020 Update
The Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) announce the release of a draft Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) for the Targhee Pass Environmental Assessment (EA). The FONSI is inclusive of the final EA and will be available for public information and review from Wednesday, June 24, 2020 through Friday, July 24, 2020. The Targhee Pass EA evaluates the risks, benefits, opportunities and costs associated with reconstruction of Targhee Pass (U.S. 20 between the junction with S.H. 87 and the Montana state line). Electronic Copies of the FONSI and EA documents can be found at the links below:
Targhee Pass Final EA (June 2020)
Targhee Pass FONSI (June 2020)
Additional information and appendices can be found in the Resource Links and Information page of this website.
Comments on the draft EA were solicited from January 2, 2019 through February 28, 2019. The final EA includes responses to comments in a new chapter (Chapter 6). The preferred alternative, Alternative 3, has not changed from what was previously identified in the draft EA document in 2019.
The preferred alternative includes:
- An additional travel lane in the uphill direction from SH 87 to the Montana State line
- Shoulder widening from 5-feet to 8-feet
- Hill cut to improve stopping sight distance
- Left- and right-turn lanes into Big Horn Hills Estates entrances
- Tree clearing to reduce shade
- Road subsurface reconstruction and drainage improvements
- An activated animal-detection system that would alert drivers to the presence of animals
- The alternative does not include crossing structures or wildlife fencing.
The FONSI identifies the preferred alternative from the EA as the selected alternative. The FONSI is being made available for public information, along with the final EA document and supporting appendices.
Following the review period, the Federal Highway Administration may decide to finalize and sign the FONSI, which would conclude the EA process, and may elect to publish a Statute of Limitations notice in the Federal Register, pursuant to 23 USC §139(l), indicating that one or more Federal agencies have taken final action on permits, licenses, or approvals for a transportation project.
Construction at Targhee Pass is programed for 2026 in ITD’s schedule of planned projects.